Caridina japonica - breeding Vol.1

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. TAKASHI AMANO

6/01/2006

The 4th day


This photo shows a 3 days old Caridina japonica larvae. The larvae is slightly bigger than 1mm. There are also some algae on the aquarium glass.

The other photo shows a worm like creature that was spotted crawling on the front glass of the tank, this morning. It is no bigger than 3 mm. It has some kind of legs on the sides. You are not able to see the "legs" with bare eyes. Whitish in color, it moves quite fast for a worm that size. I am culturing Green water in a Cola bottle that is exposed to sun light all day long. I presume I introduced it through that water, that I fed the larvae with, this morning. It looks like this Oligochaete Chaetochaster diastrophus .




Today the larvae are 3 days old. I can count only 5 larvae (will check later for more). I changed 5 liters of water, conditioned with dechlorinator Aqua Safe. I added 4 tea-spoons of salt.
The bottle, where I cultured green water turned green today, thanks to the boiled lettuce. I mixed some yeast, boiled egg yolk and some of the green water and fed the larvae.
The tank water looks very cloudy thanks to the food mix. I am not sure will the larvae get to the firs molt stage. It would be a good idea to have the salinity test and small food like the Golden Pearls (100-200 microns).

I introduced another Amano female to the breeding tank. She behaved much calmer than the first one. Probably the salt is well dissolved by now. Her eggs are getting greenish in color which indicates the hatching period is near. I am hoping that this time more zoea will survive.

Photos by Dusko Bojic.